I decided to re-scape my previous 32 Litre "Tree Scape" Tank and convert it into a flora/fauna holding tank, as i'm currently in the midst of preparing larger tanks for my future scapes too.
To stock up on some plant selection in advance, i sourced assorted suitable plants from the various LFS, then properly cleaned and quarantined them before adding them into the tank.
Although it wasn't my intention to create a scape (its just meant to be a holding tank after all), i still followed the usual layout of placing fast growing tall stem plants behind, slower growth lower plants in the middle and carpet plants in the front. I also made sure each plant group had some space between them to accommodate horizontal growth and propagation too.
After arranging everything in the tank, it somehow turned out to be a rather pleasant layout. It kind of reminded me of those "dutch style" tanks with plants arranged in neat groups, or those "collectoritis style" tanks with masses of different plants. :)
The plants are abit short at the moment, hopefully they eventually grow and fill up the tank soon.
Here are the tank stats:
Tank Size: 45cm x 30cm x 24cm (High Clarity / Low Iron Glass)
Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil New Amazonia (Powder Type)
Filter System: Eheim 2224 + 13mm gUSH Lily
Filter Media: Seachem Matrix
Temperature: 29-30°C (Day) / 27-28°C (Night)
Lighting: Up Aqua Z-Series Pro LED Z-15 (45cm)
Light Duration: 2 x 4 hour shifts (9am-1pm / 5pm-9pm)
Pressurized Co2: None
Carbon Supplement: Seachem Excel
Fertilizer: Tropica Plant Growth Specialised Fertilizer
Water Change Regimen: 50% Weekly
Tested using API Freshwater Master Test Kit
pH = 6.6
Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 0-5 ppm
Staurogyne sp. 'Repens'
Cryptocoryne Willisii 'Lucens'
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Hygrophila Polysperma 'Sunset'
Lindernia Rotundifolia 'Variegated'
Hikari Micro Pellets
Hikari Micro Wafers
Hikari Sinking Wafers
I would have liked to add even more selections of plants, but this tank is really out of space... maybe i might use one of my larger tanks to create a dedicated plant collection tank too. :)
For now, i'll just be monitoring the growth rates of the plants and tweaking the conditions (adjusting flow, excel and fertilizer dosage, water changes etc) and see how well they acclimatize to the tank environment. It'll be a good opportunity to observe how the various plants grow over time.
Although there is a relatively high fish and shrimp bio-load in the tank, the large amount of plant mass naturally consume nutrients and nitrates from the water very quickly, i tested the nitrate measurements using a API test kit and the results came up yellow, which means almost 0 nitrates in the water.
This indicates that the plants are consuming more nitrates (and possibly more nutrients) than the bio-load can produce, hence i now have to regularly dose fertilizers which contain both micro and macro nutrients to keep up with the plants demand. At the end of each week, a large water change is done to remove the excess nutrients and reset the nutrient levels.
On a side note, most of the plants i choose are in the easy-moderate demand range, which are able to grow without pressurized Co2 injection (albeit at a slower pace, therefore less need to trim the
plants as often). The approach for my future tanks will also be based on similar lower maintenance conditions.
Will update on the tank progress over the next few weeks. :)